Our mission is to fight for due process and justice for detained immigrants.
The Trump administration has authorized a dramatic increase in efforts to detain and deport immigrants. Indiscriminate enforcement measures that disregard due process and undermine access to a fair day in court present new challenges. With a lawyer, an immigrant is ten times more likely to prevail in their case. And yet, only 14 percent of detained immigrants have an attorney by their side in immigration court.
New times call for new strategies, which is why the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and the American Immigration Council (the Council) launched a new joint initiative: The Immigration Justice Campaign.
The primary goal of the Justice Campaign is to increase access to legal counsel for thousands of immigrants held in detention centers. To achieve this, the Campaign is building a broad network of pro bono allies to serve the many thousands of detained individuals who would otherwise go unrepresented and training private lawyers with new tactics and strategies to enable them to vigorously defend immigrants facing removal.
Who Should Volunteer?
We need your help. Sign up today:
- If you are a lawyer who would like to be trained and mentored to volunteer to represent detained immigrants;
- If you are a removal defense expert and would like to mentor new volunteers; or
- If you can provide other critical support to pro bono legal teams (like interpretation).
Why Should You Join?
Your skills are needed whether or not you have removal defense experience. Justice Campaign volunteers will receive training, mentorship, and other support throughout their volunteer experience. Here’s what the Justice Campaign offers to volunteer lawyers:
- A broad array of opportunities to get involved, tailored to your skills, interests and availability;
- Curated training and orientation for lawyers new to immigration law;
- Innovative mentorship and technical assistance from removal defense legal experts;
- Opportunities to make your voice go further through advocacy and outreach;
- Connections to a community of passionate and dedicated lawyers.
Hear from Deputy Director Tanaz Moghadam and Justice Campaign volunteer Hamsa Mahendranathan about our mission, and how you can help.